- We are all pre-adult Michael Jackson of late. My 8 year old moved too far in, asking questions about Mike Brown that I could not answer. I needed a home that was enveloped in the brilliance of Black children. So, this. Especially this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBS4zUjJZo. We are currently, per my daughter’s suggestion, working on a family choreography.
- I probably have not been this broke since my HU undergrad days when I rationed out my weekly food allowance to splurge on two 7-layer burritos at the Taco Bell on Georgia Ave. But, it is okay; the kids are alright.
- A hour or two of near silence and a bit of positive peppering next to my child’s body each day weighs more than I yet know how to measure.
- Music is everywhere, all the time, and we study like I used to read liner notes at age 10. Right now, they love Lenny Kravitz—namely, Mr. Cab Driver and amusingly, all the songs that reference his mama. We watch videos featuring Mrs. Roker too.
- I have not been to the gym this consistently in years. My kids get an hour of Netflix in the gym cafe in exchange for a treadmill and weights. I am grateful.
- My time has like, quadrupled in value. I wake up at 3:30 am, joyfully, brain racing.